lördag 26 juli 2008

UK break-up


Dungeness
Originally uploaded by seadipper

The Scottish National win at Glasgow East piles on the pressure for a referendum which could leave to the break up of the UK. The underlying reasons are economic and cultural. Where would that leave England? I never feel comfortable when I see this flag flying. I am not English. I am British. Though not every one who flies it is a racist or anything like that, the English flag carries a set of values some of which are very ugly. I don't mind the Union Jack but that carries a mixture of connotations including that of fairness and inclusiveness, precisely because it is not the flag of a single country.

I am not really keen on flags, but if I have to pick one, it is faded blue with an off-centre yellow cross. That carries values I am more in tune with. It is the closest thing to an anti-flag.

For a discussion of the economics of the Scottish business, I have written something here

Inga kommentarer:

Ultimate net zero lunacy?

The ultimate net zero lunacy is probably de-carbonising and trying to electrify the entire railway system.  In the first place, the railways...